Saturday, March 6, 2010

Some Assembly Required


Growing up in a low-middle class family I learned the value of hard work and knowing that you don't have to have the newest, top-of-the-line product or fancy clothes to be a great person. I still agree with that philosophy when it comes to most tangible things. However, I feel that philosophy has invaded the rest of my life. I'm not saying the "less is more" concept needs to be entirely omitted from my way of living, but its proven to hinder my progression if I make all my life choices based on those guidelines. I know this is not a foreign subject and I am not the first to reach this conclusion for herself, but it's something I constantly struggle with in my personal life; and, since this is a blog about my life...I'm putting it in print!

For someone who has this mentality so ingrained in their person, its hard to recognize the moments you should hold out for the "no assembly required" option versus "all parts sold separately and its up to you to find them and invest an undetermined amount of time putting it all together" option. I don't know if its a derivation of social class or gender or ethnicity or a combination of it all, but I can't seem to resist the opportunity to look beyond all the work required to get the desired end result. There's a part of me that knows I can have all I want if I put in the time and effort because I know that once its complete it will be the best fit. I also think once my heart is set on that path I can't resist seeing it through because there's a part of me that knows the value in putting in that work. But at what point do I say, "Screw the work! I've put in plenty of work over the years! I might be able to find something fully operational, straight out of the box in half the time!"
It's a dilemma I feel I am faced with every day...evident in some of the smallest decisions like; do I make or buy my lunch today? As well as some of the biggest decisions like how do I behave within the context of (work/personal) relationships. Today, do I choose to be apathetic or proactive? The more I think about it, the more I conclude that all I really can do is stay positive.

Right now I am making many of my choices based on what makes me happy; whether that be choosing to put in the work or not, I am making an effort to take things day by day.
It appears that my less-is-more philosophy will always remain a part of who I am. If I sit and analyze every decision I am faced with, I will never make a decision. I am by no means perfect and am okay with that. When things are imperfect, you know they're real. I don't think that a person can ever fully attain a literal sense of perfection; but I do know that I can reach a point where I can embrace my imperfections, and to me, that is the epitome of perfection. So with that I proudly say, "Some assembly definitely required here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment